So…How exactly do you prove that you are an Innocent Spouse?

Share on Facebook0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0

Joint tax returns are the norm with married taxpayers because it allows them to receive perks. But when taxes are filed with errors, what happens? It’s a huge IRS issue. Joint taxpayers are held responsible for the understated tax and any accrued penalties and interest that are attached to it. Even if you and your spouse have since divorced, you will still be responsible for these taxes.  Click here to read or watch more IRS Help resources.

Luckily, innocent spouse relief can release you from those taxes. Let our firm solve your IRS problems by walking you through the process.

Our company can help you determine your innocent spouse relief status through these criteria, as the same rules don’t apply in all fifty states:

  • Your joint tax return filed reported an understatement of income. This error could have been about income, incorrect deductions, or tax credits.
  • It is decided that you were nor aware of the understatement of income, incorrect deductions, or tax credits when you signed the tax return.
  • The IRS rules that you can’t be held liable for the understatement of tax after review of the circumstances.
  • Directly or indirectly, you did not benefit from the understatement of taxes.

It is also essential to remember that you must make the request no later than 2 years after the IRS first tried to collect the tax.

Our firm will help you accomplish and submit Form 8857, Request for Innocent Spouse Relief, with the IRS. A written statement with the same information on the Form 8857 can also be filed. The amount of tax, penalties, and interest will be computed by the IRS.

The IRS will notify your spouse regarding your request for innocent spouse relief status and the information he/she discloses may affect the IRS’s ruling.

Innocent Spouse cases can be complicated but not to Tampa Tax Lawyer, Darrin T. Mish. If you think you might have an Innocent Spouse case, give his office a call at (888) 438-6474 TOLLFREE

Share on Facebook0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0